Today you are one month old! It's crazy to think that I should still be pregnant with you right now, with just over another month to go. I am shocked and impressed with your development so far! You're doing things that even full term babies take a while to master. The nurses at the NICU call you a super star, and Mommy and Daddy totally agree with them!
To celebrate your one month birthday, I'm going to make a list of all the things you can already do:
- Smile - You already smile, and it is beautiful! A lot of people say babies smile involuntarily, but I don't agree with that. You don't smile all the time for no reason! You only smile when people are talking; most of all when you hear Mommy and Daddy talking!
- Laugh - You don't make any noise; but when Mommy or Daddy say things with a joking tone in our voice, or when we laugh, you smile and open your mouth really wide. Your lower jaw moves up and down slightly: You look exactly like you're laughing but without sound.
- Hands - You've already discovered your hands. You've realized there's one on either side of you (you spent a good half hour looking at one, then the other, then back to the first again); you realize they're part of you; and you have excellent control over them.
- Neck - You can already hold your head up on your own for a good amount of time. You can even lift your head to turn it from one side to the other when you're lieing on your tummy (sometimes the nurses put you on your tummy after a feed, because you have reflux).
- Play - This was the most amazing discovery of all! You already understand the concept of a game!! I was holding you a week ago, and you suddenly opened your mouth but you weren't hungry or yawning. I kissed inside it to make a funny noise, and you started doing your silent laugh. Then you opened your mouth again, so I kissed inside it again, and again you laughed. This went on for a few minutes, and each time you held your mouth open until I kissed inside it. Not only did you figure that out, but you remember it! Almost everytime I go in to visit you we play our game (Daddy calls it "Kissy Face") for a bit.
Speaking of growing, you're over 5lbs now! Good job, Baby. Keep up the good work!