Monday, January 16, 2012

Momma's New Years Resolutions

Dear Baby,

I want to thank you for blessing Daddy and me by choosing us to be your parents. There's no easy way to say this, but your momma is fat. I don't mean a little pudgy, or that I have left over flabbiness from our pregnancy; no, momma is considered morbidly obese. I weigh about 270lbs, and I'm only 5' 1.5". That's very fat.

The worst part is, Momma can be skinny. In fact, I was a size 4 by the time I graduated high school. Although I had always been a little pudgy, I started running on a treadmill when I was 17. In the end I looked and (most importantly) felt great! Then some not-so-happy things happened in my life. Then even more not-so-happy things happened. Over the years, I sort of gave up on myself. I guess I didn't really feel I was worth the trouble of maintaining a healthy body. A cycle started: The more weight I gained, the less motivation I had to take care of my physical health.

Here's where the blessing of you comes into play. Maybe I wasn't enough motivation for myself, but you are! I was thinking about how happy I am now that I have you and Daddy in my life, and I remembered how great I felt when I was in good shape. It's not even the fact that I looked good; it's more that I felt good and I was healthy. Being healthy in all aspects of your being (mentally, emotionally/spiritually, and physically) is very important. I'm probably going to touch on the subject of taking care of yourself a lot in this blog, because I truly believe it's one of the most important things you can do.

Anyway, while I was thinking I started asking myself how having a physically unhealthy momma would affect you. How will I keep up with you when you finally learn to crawl, let alone walk? How will I be able to run after you and keep you safe when you go barrelling out into the road without looking first (as every child does at least once in his/her life)? How will I play outside with you, or swim with you, or take you on a nature walk? How will I be able to teach you how important it is to take care of your body, if it's obvious that I don't bother to take care of mine? I refuse to ever be a hypocrite to you!

I'm sure, eventually, I would have decided to focus on recovering my physical health on my own; but since you're here, the need to be a good (healthy) momma far outweighs all my lame excuses. That's why I made my New Year's Resolution for 2012 to be much more focused on my health. I plan to change how Daddy and I do groceries, so that we're not eating so many TV dinners or simply snacking on junk food for dinner. I want to start making meals. I'll start off slow, though, so that I don't overwhelm myself. In the meantime, I also bought an elliptical machine to work out. At first I'll work out when you're sleeping, but once you get more confidant in your Jolly Jumper (which Daddy finally let us use, and you love it!), we can work out together! I'm going to put on happy music and face your Jumper to Momma's elliptical machine, and we can have exercise time!

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for being such a great motivator for Momma. You really inspire me to be a better person in all ways!

EDIT (Jan. 31, 2012): I changed the title to pluralize "Resolution". I figure since I'm telling you my biggest resolution, I may as well follow up by listing my other resolutions. I've decided that this blog isn't just for you, Baby. It is mostly for you, but I also want to help out other Mommas and Daddies. One resolution is to start making some posts on here for parents too. Hopefully, although I know times change, the parent-focused posts will help you later in life too.

Anyway, here are my other resolutions:
  • Start a blog focusing on other mothers as a target audience.
  • Make more meals (healthy meals!). Daddy works all day at a hard job, then he comes home and usually is the one that makes the meals; and, because he's so exhausted, it's usually something quick and over-processed. I want to start making our dinners, and I want them to be made of REAL food! Momma's going to be using her Crock-Pot a lot, because I just have to add the ingrediants and the machine basically does the rest!
  • Do more crafts/DIY projects. Momma's really artsy, and she hasn't really had much of an outlet for her creative side over the last year or so. My usual hobby is playing on the computer. If I switch to doing more crafts, I'll have a hobby that makes me feel productive, and I'll have something to show for it afterwards. Plus, when you're older, you can help me or make your own crafts, and that way Momma's hobby will be easy to make into something that can be our hobby!

That's about it. At the end of the year, I'll go over this list and let you know how I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment